I found this experiment to be entertaining for half of the time and then tiring, and kind of frustrating for the rest of the 15 minutes. I had
my husband help me for the first part of the assignment. He too, thought it was
fun until he realized he really was not going to be able to understand
everything I was gesturing. I told him I wanted to eat something, which he was
able to get from my gestures. However, when I was trying to show him what I wanted
it was really hard and I realized I would not be good in charades. He also
started gesturing wildly at one point which made everything even harder and
also a little funnier. He said he was not sure why he did that because it was
not planned it just seemed like he should also gesture and that maybe it would
make things easier. It did not.
I feel like for the most part he was in control of the
conversation. My husband changed topics because he was trying to figure out a
conversation where he would know what I was saying. He did a lot of asking
questions. I think the person who is in control of the conversation was the one
who was able to use language. Even though he did not understand everything I
was saying, he did get some of it and it was helpful (aside from his gesturing)
that he was able to voice his thoughts and ask questions about what I was
talking about. He was also able to lead the conversation in different
directions.
I think the culture that uses spoken language would have the
advantage of communicating complex ideas with their population. Though, I do
believe if we all just used gestures, we would understand each other if that
was the only way to communicate. Maybe just not very complex ideas. I think the
attitudes of the speaking culture would be that of frustration towards the culture
that does not use symbolic language. It really was a little more than frustrating
for my husband and I both to not be able to understand how to either gesture
something or for him to understand what my movements meant. I would think the
deaf culture resembles this. I know that it must be frustrating for them to not
be understood especially when they know exactly what they are saying and what
they mean, just as it might be frustrating for the person speaking to the deaf
person to get them to understand something.
For part two of this experience I had my daughter help me. It
was a little hard not to make any movement or change my voice in any way. I honestly
thought that this part would have been easier. I never realized how often I use
my hands or the amount of times I use facial expressions. My daughter said I
was creeping her out. She did laugh a lot, but she kept saying “Stop, this is weird.”
or “You’re acting like a robot!” It didn’t seem like she had any difficulty in
understanding me. She said maybe if I was someone else, she would need certain gestures
to go along with what they said so that she could understand how they may have
meant something a little better.
Even though my daughter did not seem to have difficulty in
understanding our conversation without any body movements, I do believe it is
very important to have those cues in a conversation. The tone of their voice, or
their facial expressions could help with meaning. I sometimes have to talk to
my daughter about the way she says things. I will tell her that it isn’t what
she said so much as how she said it. People can interpret things very differently
than you meant them just by your gestures or tone. When you read a person’s
body language you can a lot of times tell how they are feeling about what they
are saying. Maybe they are jokingly saying something or perhaps they are angry.
You can pick up on a lot of their moods and feelings and intent behind their
words if you pay attention.
The adaptive benefit to be able to read body language is
that we can understand something that someone says in one way and if they said
it differently or added a gesture to it you would be able to understand in a completely
different way. You would also know how to approach the situation based on tone
of voice and body gestures. It could be a safety feature so to speak. In all these
gestures you would know what a person may expect of you or what a person’s
intent is.
I know that there are people who do not do well with reading
body language. I also know I have read body language wrong before. I think if
someone is in a rush, they may give off certain cues that they are annoyed or angry
when they aren’t.
Part 1: Good opening description and good discussion on the issue of power and control in the conversation.
ReplyDeleteTo a certain degree, I agree with your conclusion regarding which culture has the advantage, but:
"Maybe just not very complex ideas."
And that's the question here... which culture has the advantage communicating *complex* ideas. Would you be able to explain Darwin's theory of natural selection or Einstein's theory of relativity without symbolic language? Could you communicate that idea long distance? Could you communicate the idea reliably to many people at once without symbolic language? I don't think I could. If body language was good at communicating these complex ideas, we wouldn't need spoken symbolic language. Because symbolic language is pervasive in all cultures, that tells us that it is advantageous in communication, particularly with concepts that are just ideas and not things to demonstrate and show.
Yes, the deaf culture is a good example of the power differential in this particular experiment.
Part 2: Great description here. Ask yourself why your daughter was so uncomfortable with this. We've had situations where partners were so "weirded out" that they got angry and walked out. Something important is missing when you don't use body language and it is worth trying to understand what that is. More on this below.
I don't disagree with your conclusions regarding the information we receive from body language, but you are only considering the situation where body language matches and supports the information you receive from spoken language. What does it tell you when the body language doesn't match the spoken language? Humans tend to use body language as a type of lie detector. If spoken words don't match with the body language, we are more inclined to believe the body language and doubt the words. This might help explain your daughter's reaction... her brain was telling her that you were lying to her. :-) Think about how being able to detect liars might help an individual's ability to survive and reproduce (which applies to the next section).
Okay on the benefits of body language, but what type of benefits do you get by being able to detect liars?
Like all human traits, there is normal variation in expression, and the ability to read body language is no different. But beyond that, there are groups of people who have great difficulty or an outright inability to read body language due to physical or mental disability, such as those who are in the autism spectrum or those who are blind (though they can read vocal intonation).
"I think if someone is in a rush, they may give off certain cues that they are annoyed or angry when they aren’t."
Or maybe they really are annoyed or irritated and anxious. The information may actually be accurate... it just depends upon how you interpret it. Would you really not want to know this if the information is accurate?
Is there any situation you can think of where body language might actually mislead you, not because the person is lying but because you don't know how to read the body language? Do all cultures use the same system of body language? They all use different systems of spoken/written language, so why would we assume their body language isn't different? If you travel to another country, can you trust the information you get from their body language?